Stuffed Farali Patties
By Sonal on 31 Mar 2014
For outer layer:
Potatoes - 4, medium sized
Arrowroot flour - 3 tablespoons
Salt - to taste
Oil - as much necessary for deep or shallow frying (Can use Ghee or Olive Oil for shallow frying)
Cashews - 1 tablespoon, chopped
Peanuts - 2 tablespoons, roasted and coarsely ground
Coconut (grated) - 2 tablespoons
Coriander - 10 sprigs, chopped
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Green chillies (optional) - 1
Lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
Salt - to taste
Sugar (optional) - 1/2 teaspoon
Happy Navratri, Ugadi and Gudi Padwa. A very happy New year to those celebrating today.
May you and your loved ones be blessed on this auspicious occasion of Navratri.
Stuffed Farali Patties makes for a great fasting food for Navratri. And more so on this drizzly, rainy day like today. This is also a very popular street food in Mumbai. Loved by everyone, eaten during fasts, and at other times, we just find excuses to make and eat it :)
- Boil potatoes. Peel, and grate. Grating is very important instead of just mashing, as it will create a nice smooth, homogeneous mixture needed for the patties.
- Add salt, arrowroot flour, Mash and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Make a paste of ginger, green chillies, and add salt, sugar (optional), lemon juice.
- Take the chopped cashes, ground peanuts, grated coconut, ginger & green chili paste, chopped coriander in a bowl. Mix well. This is the stuffing mixture. Keep it aside.
- Make golf ball sized balls from the potato mixture. Flatten it in palm and put 1/2 to 1 tablespoon full of stuffing mixture on top of it. Bring together the edges of the potato patti and form again either into a round ball or a flattened patty. The round ball shape works well for deep frying, whereas the flattened patty shape works well for shallow frying. You can also roll the patties in some arrowroot flour, though I did not find it necessary. May be try one and each way and see which one you like better.
- At this point, either heat oil and deep fry the patties or heat a griddle, drizzle some oil/ghee and shallow fry the patties on each side until nice golden brown.
Enjoy with green chutney!
Note: For fasting purposes, please check to see the ingredients are per your fasting rules/restrictions, before using.
I blog at www.cafemint.blogspot.com